VICTORIA-ROMANORVM [VICTORIA ROMANORVM]; Emperor in military dress stg. facing, head turned to r., holding standard in r. hand, and Victory holding wreath and palm-branch stg. on globe in l. ANTΓ in exergue.
NOT IN RIC
UNLISTED ISSUE. Obverse RIC VI CARTHAGO 31a with reverse RIC VIII ANTIOCH 229 minted sixty years later for Jovian. This coin is formally unlisted in RIC but in fact belongs to the group of rather deceptive forgeries. Apparently this time counterfeiter made a mistake and mixed up his dies.
See six examples of RIC VI CARTHAGO 31a from the same obverse die:
- Triskeles (auction 20, lot 661, 11.95 g, 27 mm);
- CNG (eAuction 321, lot 690, 13.09 g, 28 mm);
- Münzkabinett der Universität Göttingen (no. BA-0282, 7.131 g, 26.27);
- eBay (sold as replica, December 2020, 10.36 g);
- VCoins (CIVITAS Galleries) (8.99 g, 27 mm);
- Artemide Aste (e-Live auction 23, lot 717, 8.48 g, 26 mm).
One example imitating Syrian tetradrachm from the same obverse die:
- eBay (FAC; posted by Din X).
And five examples of RIC VIII ANTIOCH 229 from the same reverse die:
- Sincona (auction 10, lot 325, 9.13 g);
- InAsta (E-Live auction 99, lot 551, 9.91 g);
- Vico (auction 142, lot 267);
- Alpha Auctions (auction 7, lot 294, 10.31 g);
- eBay (from DIn X collection).
Certainly these coins are also fakes [Thanks to the collaboration of Janusz Kamiński, Din X and six2ten].
ANTIOCHIA [after 54a], DIOCLETIAN, UNLISTED OBVERSE LEGEND [FORGERY]
ALEXANDRIA [after 32a], DIOCLETIAN, UNLISTED OBVERSE LEGEND [FORGERY]
ALEXANDRIA [before 124], MAXIMINUS, UNLISTED OBVERSE LEGEND [FORGERY]